If you foster a deep appreciation for the art of music, then you’ve most likely heard the term “baroque” at least once. Baroque music was a huge part of European and American history, and it continues to live within and shape our community today! To best experience this unique style of music, we highly recommend visiting the Berkshire Bach Society during your stay at the Gateways Inn! The Berkshire Bach Society is the region’s oldest continuing member-based non-profit music organization. They seek to enrich the lives of those in the community through beautiful instrumental music. Ranging from solo performances to choir ensembles, the talented musicians of this society use the work of J.S. Bach and his musical peers to enchant audiences young and old.
Find more local entertainment options like the Berkshire Bach Society when you request your free copy of our Vacation Guide to the Berkshires! This handy planning tool will also help you discover the best options for nearby dining, attractions, shopping, and more. No stress required!
What You Need to Know About J.S. Bach
The society is named after Johann Sebastian Bach, one of the greatest baroque-era composers in history. He was born in Germany in 1685 unto a family of musicians. He immediately began schooling in the field of music, particularly violin and harpsichord. His inspiring career began when he provided music for religious services in the New Church of Arnstadt. By 1747, Bach had become a star in his own right. He created music for royalty, including the King of Prussia, and was responsible for renowned compositions such as “Mass in B Minor” and “The Well-Tempered Clavier.” He died of a stroke on July 28, 1750. His magnificent works were worshiped for many years and even influenced other great musical artists, especially Mozart!
Berkshire Bach Society Musicians
The Berkshire Bach Society is populated by a large team of talented musicians. Each of these musicians brings something unique to the orchestra for a musical experience you won’t soon forget. Here are just some of the performers you will be able to see today:
- Kenneth Cooper: As a harpsichordists, pianist, and conductor, he is recognized as one of America’s most exciting and versatile performers. He is also the music director of the Berkshire Bach Ensemble.
- Eugene Drucker: A former concertmaster of the Juilliard Orchestra, Eugene Drucker is truly one-of-a-kind. His captivating violin skills have earned him numerous awards and appearances in several orchestras across the world.
- Simone Dinnerstein: Simone has been recognized by TIME and Slate Magazine as one of today’s best pianists! Her album, released in January 2011, very quickly earned itself the Number 1 spot on the Billboard Classical Music Chart.
2 Upcoming Concerts at the Berkshire Bach Society
While dates have yet to be determined, here are just a couple of the venue’s most highly-anticipated concerts that you won’t want to miss!
- Handel’s Messiah Sing: This annual event is one of the society’s most highly-anticipated concerts. It is a gift to the community and the perfect way to ease into the holiday season during Thanksgiving weekend. Whether you join in the singing or just come to listen, you’re sure to have a blast!
- Bach at New Year’s: Ring in the New Year the right way! This festive celebration features all six concerti combined with the talents of several soloists.
Enjoy the Music of the Berkshires During Your Stay With the Gateways Inn
As a region rich in the arts, there is no place quite like the Berkshires to listen to some of most beautiful music in New England. That’s why we invite you to experience it all at the Gateways Inn! Our Proctor mansion has an old-world feel and that will make you feel like you’ve stepped back in time. Each of our twelve impeccably decorated guest rooms features luxurious amenities including large brass or sleigh beds, fireplaces, private en-suite bathrooms, and much more. Don’t forget to take advantage of the award-winning restaurant and inviting lounge located right on-site!
Book your next getaway at The Gateways Inn & Restaurant today! We look forward to welcoming you to Lenox soon.
If you haven’t already, request your free copy of our Berkshires Vacation Guide for a full list of the best things to do during your trip!
Photo Credit: TeerawatWinyarat/Getty Images